Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Met - 2/14/09 (Valentine's Day!)



The Met was huge and fantastic...and HUGE! I cannot believe that I have never been to the Met before and I have to say that I might not have gone for many more years to come if it hadn't been for his class!

This blog will be a photo tour of the Met, but before I get into pictures I should tell you a bit about my adventures in New York. As I wrote in my previous blogs, my fiance and I stayed in a hotel for the weekend and visited four different museums. Our hotel was on the East side at 94th and Broadway and Museum Mile is directly across Central Park from there, so we made our way to the Met by walking through Central Park and around the Jackie Onassis Reservoir. Wow! I had never walked in Central Park before and what a treat to get to the other side of a fantastic park and be greeted by the Met! We had a great day and didn't leave the museum until past 8:00 PM! Well, I hope you enjoy the pics because I sure did enjoy taking them!


Royal Acquaintances Memi and Sabu
Giza, Dynasty 4


Fragment of the Face of a Queen
Dynasty 18
yellow jasper


Temple


Temple lagoon


William Henry Reinhart
Clytie, 1872









Inlaid wood room. The whole room was done like this!


Greenman!


Sallet (helmet) in the Shape of a Lion's Head





Greenman holster


Armor



Albert Bierstadt
The Rocky Mountains, Lander's Peak, 1863
**Aaron's favorite. Can you tell?









Greenman bellows


Medieval pruning set


Cupid --the man of the hour!


Frederick Lord Leighton
Lachrymae, 1884


van Gogh
Self-Portrait with a Straw Hat, 1887



van Gogh
Wheat Field with Cypresses, 1889

1 comment:

  1. Albert Bierstadt is a wonderful, romatic landscape painter and an American treasure... Great photos, Tara... Sounds like you had a wonderful week-end in New York... I used to take Students to Europe for a similar class but after 911 the college decided not to do that anymore... New York though is right here and is more than world class... the Met is second to none in the world....

    ReplyDelete